Tuesday 26 April 2011

THE TORTOISE AND THE PARROT. A NIGERIAN TALE BY STELLA

Dear Diary, today was the happiest day of my life. I had to proof to Mr. Tortoise that I am the wisest animal in the world. Which obviously he didn't agree at first.
Last week I was at Mr. Tostoise house to tell him about this amazing discovery. He laughed at me and thought I was a joker
"Ah ha! What do you expect of Parrots?" he said scornfully. "They just fly about telling fake tales. "Well my good Koru, fly away and tell this to cat and see what he'll do to you". He said to me.
Alright, if you think I just told you a joke, you watch out and see. In the next few days the Iroko tree in the village is coming down." I said and flew away.
The Iroko tree is workshipped by the villagers. Market women on their way to the market stop to offer something to it, in the hope that they would have a good day.
Early the following morning I flew to the Iroko tree and settled on it. After each woman had made her offering, I shouted out saying: "No luck fo you today!"
Soon news about this spread and the Elders held a meeting. They decided that the Iroko tree had become evil and that it must be cut down. In no time at all the tree was cut down in the presence of the Elders, and just as it fell I cried out: "You can't catch me!"
I flew off, making straight for Mr. Tortoise's. Mr. Tortoise was just going out to see the fallen Iroko tree and his wife was seeing him off.
"Who's the wisest animal now? Hah! Hah! Hah! I laughed out loud. Finally I did proof it to him. Good night dear diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment